Talking to your Teen about Sex is no longer just once, it should be an ongoing discussion with 1,000 1 minute conversations throughout child and teen years.
I’ve always been a big fan of talking about the uncomfortable. The more we as parents get comfortable talking about uncomfortable things, the better off our children and teens will be. We have a book called Amazing You that I’ve shared about before is our favorite children’s book to introduce where babies come from. It’s out and open for my kids to read whenever, and my youngest has been calling it “the naked book” since she was 4. Thats the introduction, but the discussion hasn’t ended.
Podcast on Teens and Sex
My guest on the podcast today is Kristin Hodson, a sex therapist in Salt Lake City. She’s here to share with us how to have the sex talk with teens more regularly. Some of the points we talk about:
- Abstinence vs. Birth Control
- Mental Imagery
- Collaborative Dialogue
- Female pleasure
- STI’s vs. STD’s
- Role playing with teens
You can listen to the episode right here on the blog post, or on your favorite podcast app (iTunes, Spotify).
Podcast for teens:
As often happens, I ended up falling into the therapy chair to discuss my experience on the topic. And Kristin weighs in. You will surely walk away from this listen with your mind expanded. As with all podcast episodes and discussions we have in the community, take what feels right to you and move forward. You will hear Kristin and I discuss something towards the end that I’m still not sure how I’ll move forward with, but I’m grateful for the opportunity to open my thoughts to possibility.
20 Questions to talk to your teen about sex
This is a list I came up with that is all over the place. Feel free to add or take away what I’ve typed out. A lot of this we discussed in the podcast this week.
- What’s the difference between kissing and French kissing?
- Do you know what oral sex is?
- Do you know what abstinence means?
- Why do you think it’s important to remain abstinent until you are an adult?
- What do you know about STI versus STD?
- Are any of your friends having sex?
- Do you know how a female feels pleasure different from a male?
- Do you know what an erection is?
- What would you do if somebody tried to kiss you and you didn’t want to?
- How would you feel if you asked someone out and they turned you down?
- What would you do if you were at your friends house and they turned on turn on pornography on the television?
- How would you respond if you were dating someone and they wanted to have sex but you didn’t want to? Told you it meant you didn’t love them.
- What would you do if you found out you were pregnant?
- Do you know any teenagers pregnant at your high school?
- What are your thoughts on adoption? abortion?
- Do you know what it means to have blue balls?
- Do you know what an orgasm is?
- What have you heard around school that you’re not sure what it means?
- What do you know about masturbation?
- Do you know what a vibrator is and what it’s used for?
You decide when to ask what. Most are meant for older teens (16, 17, 18) you decide what’s appropriate for your teen.
I found a few other online resources that you might enjoy:
Support this podcast by shopping Amazon through our Amazon Store.
Leave an iTunes review about your experience listening to any episode!
SHARE this with your friends and discuss together.
Join the community discussion over at @KristenDukeChats