Are you a controlling parenting of a teenager? Most don’t like to think of themselves as controlling, but it’s a blind spot many parents have. It’s all done out of LOVE, but also fear. Here are a few thoughts I shared on Instagram at @KristenDukeChats this past week (click to read discussion).
Why do parents have an innate desire to control their teenagers?
Fears can be anxiety inducing…
- Let go of control by avoiding lectures
2. Let go of control by compromising
3. Let go of control by letting them make mistakes
4. Let go of control by allowing for consequences (not punishments)
5. Let go of control by not asking so many questions
To see more details of 2-5, see my instagram post here: Let go of control
This discussion stemmed from a question I made a video short out of, watch it here: or on Instagram (to see discussion comments) here: teen what to wear